Friday, December 5, 2008

Latest Accomplishments!

I haven't updated in a while so I thought I'd just list his latest accomplishments.

1. He is using the potty really well now. I have to take him and put him on the potty, but he will use it when he needs to. We are getting less and less accidents in between. And he LOVES to climb up on his little step stool to wash his hands. So much so that it has been his motivation for using the potty. I tell him to use the potty and you can wash your hands. I started rubbing his hands together when I tell him that and he will potty, then rub his hands together. Most of the time he tries to make a break for the sink with his pants around his ankles before I can get them back up. Now he stops when I say "wait". He looks so cute climbing up on his little step stool. And he immediately stepped up on it on his own before I even had a chance to show him. I thought he might need help, but he showed me real quick what a big boy he is.

2. He is becoming more vocal. The only words he is saying are mama and dada. But he is saying baba, and (as of yesterday) nana, and lala. He babbles and squeals a lot and blows LOTS of raspberries.

3. He is starting to drink some juice now. He stopped drinking vanilla soy milk. :(
He is drinking NutriPals, PediaSure, and juice. I am so thrilled about the juice!! That is a BIG accomplishment!

4. He is starting to spoon his spoon in his own mouth! He has scooped his own food up five times, but we are still in the process of getting him to do it independently. Tonight at supper he kept holding his hand out with his spoon in it for me to help him. Towards the end of his meal I ignored it to see if he would get tired of waiting and he did scoop twice. It was more of a dip, but still he helped himself and that was awesome! I helped him finish up because he was getting tired and it just wasn't the best time for it. So far I have learned that if you throw too many new things at him and expect too much faster than he feels comfortable then he shuts down and stops trying. So I do a little here and a little there and when he feels secure enough on his own he takes off. I no longer think about the fact that he is four years old and how he needs to catch up. I took that burden off of both of us! I stop and appreciate every new little thing he does without thinking about how far he still has to go. He is who he is and I love him just as he is. As long as we help him to accomplish being the person that God put him here to be then that is all that matters in this world. He's just amazing!

5. He has started to dance and spin in circles while he dances! His new favorite toy is a Leap Frog Caterpillar that plays music, says colors, and the alphabet. I started dancing for him when he would press the music button on top and he thought it was hysterical! As soon as the music would stop he would press the button again for the music to watch me dance. Yes, he made me his dancing monkey! lol! As soon as I would start dancing again he would scream and laugh. After a few rounds he decided to get up from his table and start dancing too. He was imitating me and started spinning in circles and shaking his little hands. This went on and on until we both tired out. It was good exercise for both of us though. He loves it! That's another thing he learned to do was spin circles. He had already learned that he could spin around and around to make the room spin. His coordination is getting so much better! Now he has learned to spin and dance to his favorite thing...MUSIC!

6. He signs "mama", "daddy", and as of yesterday "more". We're working on "milk" and "drink" now.

7. He has learned to put my hangers back! I have a hanger thief on my hands. I keep my hangers in a basket outside of the laundry room under my folding table because I don't have anywhere to hang them in my laudry room. Well, John Paul LOVES hangers!! He kept stealing my hangers and playing with them even though there is definitley not a toy shortage around here. He just loves them! One hanger here or there wasn't so bad, but it started to become a situation where everytime he would walk past the basket he would grab a new hanger and leave it thrown out on the playroom floor. Finally I decided it was time to crack down on it. So I caught him in the act and said, "no John Paul". This was after weeks of me taking the hangers either out of his hands or picking them up off of the floor and placing them back in the basket. He looked at me and gave me a mean look and started to whine and pout. So I told him to put it back in the basket. He spun in a circle and put it back in the basket. He was already halfway turned when I told him no, so he just turned the rest of the way around. Then he put his head down on the floor and started pouting. I said, "I'm not mad, just please don't steal my hangers". The he got up and picked up two more hangers that he had just previously hijacked and put them back in the basket. Of course this totally melted my heart. He is such a good little boy! Then he looked at me like he was sorry. He's so sensitive if he thinks he has done something wrong even when it really isn't a big deal. He'll understand though as he continues to become more secure with us. So now I am going to start working on teaching him to pick his own toys up.

8. He is interacting really well with other children! He had so much fun in NC over Thanksgiving with his cousin Ethan and my friend's two little boys. I am going to post some pictures later. I am really busy with getting ready to go back to Ukraine in 8 days!

9. He is starting to give kisses! My favorite accomplishment! :)

10. Oh, and he has learned to pet the cats GENTLY! lol! The cats appreciate that accomplishment A LOT!

11. And one more thing that is just awesome! He has learned to put his shape puzzle together correctly. It's a wooden puzzle with knobs and it has a square, triangle, circle, oval, and rectangle. He's learned to put all of the pieces in the correct place. He doesn't need my help with that one anymore. We just started a fruit puzzle now. He's already gotten the apple spot right a few times and the banana twice.

I am so bummed about leaving him, but we just can't take him for numerous reasons. He will be staying with my mom and he will be in great hands! I'm just going to miss him so much!!!! :(

1 comments:

grammygwen said...

I am so proud of John Paul!!!! I know how much you are going to miss him while you are gone. I can't wait for him to stay with us. Invitations were given last night at my M&M Sisters party for play dates for him. Can't wait to get Dasha home and to see the two of them together.
I love you all. MOM