Sunday, December 28, 2008

PICTURES!!!

My mom had been feeding me pictures of John Paul while we were in Ukraine to help with missing him. We had our web cams going so we could talk and see each other for a few days. But once we got to Simferopol we didn't have internet in our room and I was unable to use our laptop. That made it harder. It was so nice to get the pictures and to see him having fun! I thought I would post them so that you can all see them too. I have more pictures from Christmas but I am just going to post these for now and give people a chance to see these. There are a lot of pics and if I post them all then some of them will be on the next page probably and might get missed.

In the picture where he is eating the chocolate wafer he looks upset, but my mom said he is actually laughing. He has learned to take a bite out of softer things, like wafer cookies and cheese puffs. He still hasn't figured out how to chew with his back teeth though. Dasha will chew, bananas that I know of, so I am hoping that he will see her chewing and figure it out. We have been exaggerating our chewing so that he can see, but he just hasn't figured it out yet. Well, I think he understands the concept, but for some reason isn't ready to do it yet. When Dasha chews you can see her move her food around with her tongue and everything. I am really hoping that he will see how she is doing it and start wanting to try too. They are going to be so good for each other. I know he is going to be able to teach her a lot!

I had hoped and prayed that he would continue to progress while we were in Ukraine, and he has! He is in a great environment with my mom, but I was afraid that the change and wondering where we are might effect him. It hasn't at all though. My mom said that the first day that I was unable to call on our web cam that he walked into her office around the same time that I had been calling and pointed at the computer screen and said, "mama". That melted my heart and made me sad at the same time. He didn't get upset or cry though so that is good.

He obviously feels really comfortable with my mom and step-dad and loves them! You can tell that in the pictures. He was just starting to let me know when he had to use the potty before we left. He has taken my mom to the potty several times to let her know that he needs to go. He has been testing her some too to see what he can get away with. lol!! Don't they all do that? lol!

I am going to get the pictures on now so I can get on the road to go get him!! I had to get some sleep so that I could be awake enough to drive down to NC. I slept for 11 hours straight! Boy, I was wiped out from all of that traveling!

Here's my little sweetheart...
Isn't this the sweetest?!

He fell asleep eating.
I LOVE wagon rides at grammy's house!!








8 comments:

Beth said...

How wonderful! He looks like he had a fabulous time!

I found your site through another Ds blog, and am so happy that everyone has chipped in to help your family.

My daughter with Down syndrome is 10 years old, and we live in the Richmond area. I have some experience and training in oral motor skills (the chewing issue)with kids with Ds and would be happy to send you more info on this if you'd like.

Welcome home!

Cammie Heflin said...

He is so precious! I can't wait to see him reunited with Dasha!

Christy and Kevin said...

He looks so happy at his Grammy's house! I knew he would be fine. He is getting so big!

Amanda Jones said...

Great pictures! I'm so glad to hear that he did well while you were away!

He sure is a handsome little boy! :)

Amanda

amyl4 said...

Kristy,
Thank you so much for sharing these pics of John Paul! I love to see his cute little smile! I really love the pictures of him in the wagon. Give him an extra hug from me:)
Amy

Andrea Roberts said...

My goodness, look at the change in him, in such a short time! He is so handsome, Kristy!!

Arizona mom to eight said...

He is such a cutie, wow, such stunning eyes too. I can't wait to see he and Dasha in a picture together!

grammygwen said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new background and music. Really suits our little man.